Is it possible only few onions to lead you to a super delicious pasta dish? The answer is yes only if you try this caramelized onion pasta. Simple, yet delicious dish.
I have to confess that I was a little bit reluctant to try this recipe. I wasn’t convinced that slowly caramelized onions will create a delicious pasta sauce. But, I was so wrong. Only 40 minutes later I was eating the most yummy and complex-tasting caramelized onions pasta dish.
For making this recipe you will need a few and simple ingredients. Olive oil, butter, onions and fresh spring onion and some wine. The recipe can only be made with onions. Personally, I really liked the addition of spring onions. The chopped fresh onion was used both in the sauce and as a side dish.
The most important thing in this recipe is the temperature. The temperature of the pan after adding onions should be low, as we do not want the onion to burn. While, in its best cooking, it helps to cook it with the lid closed. So, choose to use a pan with a lid. If you follow the instructions you will end up with the super yummy, jammy and complex-tasting caramelized onions.
If you do not have any wine, don’t worry. You can substitute wine with a glass of pasta cooking liquid. The pasta cooking liquid will create a super a glossy sauce that will coat your pasta.
Caramelized onion pasta
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2+1 fresh onions, thinly sliced
- 25 ml olive oil
- 25 gr butter
- 1 glass of white wine
- 500 gr pasta
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan add about 5 liters of water and bring to a boil. Once the water has boiled, add 2 tbsp salt and after 1 minute the pasta. Boil until the pasta becomes al dente.
- In a large pan, over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onions, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 40 minutes with the lid closed. Stir occasionally.
- Add the wine and stir. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the alcohol has evaporated.
- With the help of a fork add al dente pasta to the pan. Stir well.
- Serve with fresh onion and freshly ground parmesan on top.
Pasta with caramelized onion sauce, a delicious recipe that you will love. You will only need few ingredients and some patience in order to perfectly caramelize the onions.
If you want to see more pasta recipes like this one you can click here. I ‘ll be happy to hear from you what is your favorite pasta recipe, so please don’t hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter!