I think the time has come for a cake different from all the others. A crepe cake with patisserie cream, jam and seasonal fruits. The ultimate dessert of summer, super tasty and refreshing.
This crepe cake, as you already understand from its name, is based on wonderful crepes instead of sponge cake. Which makes it completely different from all the cakes you have eaten so far. But the patisserie cream could not be missing from any cake. So it is not missing from this one. The patisserie cream gives a classic feeling to the crepe cake and makes it extremely refreshing. While, the seasonal fruits and the jam take the cake to the next level.
For the crepe cake I used two packages of Easy Bake pancakes as I wanted an impressive tall cake for a special occasion. You can make a smaller one using a package if you want. Of course in this case do not forget to reduce in half the ingredients for the patisserie cream.
Tips for making a perfect crepe cake
The recipe is an easy to make as we do not spend time worrying about the mixture for crepes thanks to the Easy Bake mixtures. All we have to do is add water. Easy much? This is the spirit behind Easy Bake mixtures, since they have been created to make our life easier. And the best part?
Easy Bake products really stand out for their quality since they do not contain palm oil. But why is it important not to have a palm oil product? The use of palm oil in the products has a negative impact on the planet as for years palm oil producers have destroyed huge areas of tropical forests which they have replaced with plantations for palm oil. Thus, aiming at a responsible way of cooking, it is wise to choose products that do not contain palm oil.
But let’s get back to the patisserie cream. Although the recipe for patisserie cream is very easy, we should be careful when cooking it as we should stir it constantly so that it does not clot.
WHAT FRUIT SHOULD I USE?
In my cake I added strawberries, cherries, currants and raspberries. Seasonal fruit that I got directly from my parents’ garden. If you do not have a garden, it does not matter, a walk in the grocery store in your neighborhood is enough to find seasonal fruits to garnish your cake.
- For best results I would suggest making the cake several hours earlier, even better than the night before. Staying overnight in the fridge helps it bond better.
- Do not hesitate to add your own filling. Explore each season, pick different fruits and experiment.
- Serve the cake straight from the fridge.
Crepe cake with patisserie cream, jam and seasonal fruits
- 2 Easy Bake crepes mixtures
- 900 gr water
- butter, for frying
For the patisserie cream
- 4 cups milk
- ⅔ cup cornflour
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- jam of your choice
- fresh produce fruits
- Add all the ingredients for the patisserie, except the yolks and vanilla, in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture with a hand whisk until the cream thickens.
- Once the cream is ready, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and the yolks whisking constanlty.
- Cover with a cling film and set aside until it comes to room temperature.
For the crepes
- Make the mixture according to the instructions on the package.
- Butter a non-stick pan, put it on a medium heat and once it burns well, add a tablespoon of the mixture.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture. Set aside.
For the crepe cake
- Place a crepe on a large serving plate and spread a tablespoon of the patisserie cream and a teaspoon of jam on top. Place a crepe on top and repeat the process.
- Τοποθετούμε την τούρτα στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον μισή ώρα.
- Garnish the cake with seasonal fruits and powdered sugar.
So this was my recipe for a different cake. A crepe cake with patisserie cream, jam and seasonal fruits. Ideal choice for a birthday party or why not for any summer party in a yard in the summer. Absolutely summery, tasty and refreshing.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!