Is there a better way to celebrate the summer than an easy cherry galette tart? No, there is not, trust me.
Galettes came from beautiful France and they belong to the family of tarts, but they have a rustic character. They are my favorites, in general tarts but especially the galettes. They are so unpretentiously beautiful and if you obey to the seasonality of fruits and vegetables they can be so delicious.
Galettes are easy to make, since the dough doesn’t require special skills, and there are no requirements for special utensils, a greaseproof paper is enough in order to delicious flavors to be unfolded in front of your eyes. Do you want something else from a recipe?
The recipe is very easy to follow, there is only a time consuming step, removing pits from cherries. If you do not have a pitter, there are no worries, you can choose an empty bic pen. Yes, a bic pen. Remove the tube with the ink from its inside and your pitter is ready.
The galette can be easy to make, but like any recipe, galette also has its own secrets. So if you decide to make it then keep in mind the following:
- Temperature: The butter and the water must be cold. The water can be kept cold by adding some ice cubes. But what about the butter? Simple: Once sliced into small cubes, put it back in the fridge.
- Moisture: Moisture is very important for the mixture. We must be very careful about the amount of water. Most recipes call a range of cold water tablespoons. So add one tablespoon at the time and be careful not to add more than needed.
Easy cherry galette tart
- 1 galette dough (find the recipe here)
- 500-600 gr sour cherries
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- juice of ¼ a lemon
- During the resting time of the dough we prepare the filling. Wash the cherries very well and remove the pits.
- In a large bowl add the cherries, 2 tbsp. sugar and 1 tbsp cornflour. Stir and set aside.
- Dust a greaseproof paper with some flour and place the dough on. If it is hard to roll then leave it for 5 to 10 minutes to soften.
- By using a rolling pin roll the dough to a diameter of about 30 cm. Dust the center with 1 tbs cornflour. Cornflour will absorb any extra moisture coming from cherries.
- Arrange the cherries in the center leaving a 4 cm border.
- Fold the border over cherries, overlapping as you go. Sprinkle the border with 1 tbsp. sugar.
- Bake at a preheated oven, at 200°C, for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden.
This was my way of celebrating summer. A delicious and easy cherry galette tart. Try it once and it will definitely become your favorite one. Easy to make, no special equipment needed, nor skills.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!