There are some recipes that drive you crazy with their simplicity, but also the humbleness of their ingredients. Such a recipe is today’s, simple, easy to make and delicious. Fried peppers with red sauce.
You may remember that my hometown is Florina. Florina is a small town well-known for the produce of peppers. So, in my place the peppers, green but also red (the well-known Florina peppers), are in abundance. So there are a lot of recipes based on them. Sometimes stuffed with rice and herbs, sometimes stuffed with cheese, or just fried.
As a child, I remember my grandmother frying peppers in her small kitchen. She used to go to the garden and cut as many peppers that were a little ripe. But grandma, I used to tell her, they are ripe. They are not ripen my little girl, we will cut the ripen part and we will use the rest of the pepper. So we return home, with the ripe peppers and the most ripe tomatoes.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE RECIPE
The recipe for fried peppers with tomato sauce is a very simple and easy recipe that you will love. This dish is served mainly as an appetizer. However, I do not hide from you that I happened to eat it as a main meal. Necessary condition to be accompanied by peppers from a salad, and plenty of bread.
I will give you the specific recipe in two versions. Or one of them is suitable for a vegan diet, as it does not contain dairy and of course no meat. While the second version contains feta cheese.
I think you have already more or less understood the ingredients we will need. However, I will summarize them below:
- Green peppers, ripe tomatoes and garlic
- Olive oil
- Feta cheese (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
As you can see as you can see there are very few ingredients and simple. If you like spicy flavors, of course you can add one or two hot peppers.
Fried peppers with red sauce.
- 1 kg peppers
- ½ cup olive oil
- thick salt
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 ml tomato sauce
- 150 gr feta cheese
- Cut the peppers into smaller pieces, removing the stalk and seeds.1 kg peppers
- In a deep frying pan, over medium to high heat, add the olive oil and a little thick salt. The salt will help so that the olive oil does not splash when we add the peppers. Add the garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.½ cup olive oil, thick salt, 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Add the peppers to the pan and stir often with a wooden spoon. Stir carefully so that the peppers do not peel as they soften. Cook for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the tomato sauce, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir gently and cook for another 5 minutes.250 ml tomato sauce
- Just before removing from the heat, add crushed feta cheese and mix again gently.150 gr feta cheese
- Remove the extra olive oil with a spoon and serve.
So that’s my recipe for today, fried peppers with red sauce. Simple, delicious and very easy. If you want you can add a little feta at the end, they become delicious. Although without the feta they are still unique.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!