Do you want the easiest and most delicious ice cream? If so then you are not in the right recipe. And this is because this ice cream is the most delicious, but it is not so easy to make. I’m talking about the ice cream sandwich with poached cherries and dark chocolate.
Undoubtedly we have entered the ice cream season and my appetite for them is growing. I see everywhere seasonal fruits around me and I think that they can stand out and be incorporated in an ice cream. This was my case for my favorite cherries. I resisted and did not make the most delicious and easy cherry galette on the planet (you may find the recipe here), but I really did make a delicious ice cream.
So it all started with my favorite cherry. Cherries perfectly match with ice cream, red wine, dark chocolate and almonds. It was almost a one-way street. My juicy cherries were poached with red wine. While in the recipe, even the pits from the cherries were used as they flavored the ice cream. This is because if you smash the pits of a cherry they give off an almond scent.
How to prepare ice cream sandwiches
The most important thing in this recipe is the organization as there are four different preparations that need to be made. Also, as we talk about ice cream we will need two days as the ice cream mixture should stay in the fridge for 12 hours and then get into the ice cream machine. So let’s split the recipe into two days.
On the first day we will prepare the poached cherries, the ice cream mixture and the cookies. That is, almost everything. Start by making the cherries, and do not forget to keep the pits. Then continue with the ice cream mixture. After we prepare it, set in the fridge and start the dough for the cookies. Prepare the dough for the cookies and leave it in the fridge. End for the first day.
On the second day start with the cookies in order to give them time to cool. Then put the ice cream mixture in the ice cream machine. While the ice cream mixture is in the ice cream machine prepare the dark chocolate shell. After leaving the ice cream mixture in the freezer for at least 4 hours we can compose the sandwiches. After this stage, the ice creams will need to stay in the fridge for about half an hour, until the chocolate freezes.
WHY TO ADD GLUCOSE SYRUP
The use of glucose syrup in ice cream is generally enhances the flavour while significantly improves its texture, as it makes it provides smoothness and creaminess. In addition, the use of a small amount of glucose syrup reduces the formation of crystals during cooling, which significantly improves its structure.
You can find glucose syrup easily in supermarkets. As glucose syrup is made from corn, keep in mind that the jar will probably have on its label a corn.
Ice cream sandwich with poached cherries and dark chocolate
For the ice cream
- 400 ml milk, full fat
- 400 ml heavy cream
- 110 gr granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 50 ml glucose syrup
- 100 gr dark chocolate drops
For the poached cherries
- 1 cup red wine
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 500 gr cherries
For the cookies
- 100 gr all-purpose flour
- 50 gr cacao powder
- 100 gr granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 100 gr butter, into cubes
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 250 gr dark chocolate finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
For poaching the cherries
- Wash the cherries, and remove the pits. Keep the pits aside and finely chop the cherries.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add the wine and sugar.
- Once it starts to boil, add the cherries. Boil for about 5 minutes, until the cherries are soft.
For the ice cream
- In a saucepan add the milk, heavy cream and salt.
- In a bowl, beat the yolks together with the sugar and glucose syrup. Add the mixture to the pot and place on low to medium heat.
- With a rolling pin, break the pits from the cherries and put them in a thin tulle. Add the tulle to the pot.
- Stir constantly, checking the temperature with a thermometer. Once it reaches 83°C-85°C, the cream is ready. Remove from the heat and immediately pour the mixture into another bowl because, if the temperature rises again, it will be ruined.
- Transfer the bowl to a large basin filled with cold water. Stir until it comes to room temperature.
- Cover with transparent film and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
- Remove the tulle with the pits and follow the instructions of the ice cream machine. Just before we finish, add the cherries after draining them, and the dark chocolate. Stir.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.
For making the cookies
- In a bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar and salt. Stir.
- Add the butter into cubes and the milk and mix with your fingers with the mixture until it is homogenous.
- Form the dough into a thick cylinder and wrap it with a transparent film. Leave in the fridge for an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and with the help of a knife cut into 16 thin slices. Place the cookies in a greased pan and bake in a preheated oven at 175 ° C for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Melt the finely chopped dark chocolate together with the coconut oil in a bain marie. Set aside.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it soften for 10 minutes.
- Put an ice cream scoop in a cookie. Press slightly with a second cookie to make the sandwich.
- Dip the sandwich in the bowl with the chocolate coating and put it in the freezer to freeze.
So this was my recipe for ice cream sandwich with poached cherries and dark chocolate. Yes, it’s a bit of a trouble. But I guarantee you that it is the sweetest trouble.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!
Leave a Reply