Juicy oven-fried shrimps, juicy on the inside, and crunchy on the outside. Perfect for an appetizer, while there are an excellent choice for your bao bun.
The recipe with the most views here in Teti’s flakes is the recipe for baked red mullets. You have loved this recipe, and I totally understand the reason. Because if you follow the recipe you will easily end up with delicious red mullets that taste like their fried version but they are not, they are baked.
Based on this recipe I have created the recipe for oven-fried shrimps. I followed the same logic, with one major difference. The cooking time. You have to have in mind that the secret to juicy shrimp is the short cooking time. Regardless the cooking method, fried or roasted.
I love the recipes where nothing is wasted. And this is a recipe that belongs to this category. I have used the shrimp heads and shells in order to make a flavorful shrimp broth.
Shrimp broth can be stored in ice cubes in the freezer and used in many recipes to enhance the flavor. You can add it to seafood risotto or spaghetti (you can find my favorite seafood linguine recipe here), but also to recipes like Greek shrimp saganaki.
If you are a fan of homemade broths then you should also take a look at the recipe for meatball soup with egg lemon sauce where I refer to veal broth.
- heads and shells of 500 gr shrimps
- 1 onion
- 1 lt water
- In a saucepan, add the heads and shells, salt and water. The water should cover the heads and shells.
- Peel the onion and add it to the pan.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and then pour the broth into ice cubes after draining.
- Store the broth in the freezer.
How to peel and devein shrimps
When peeling and deveining shrimps you have to be very careful in exposing the vein. Thus, after removing the head, straighten the shrimp’s body with your fingers, break the tail slightly and expose the vein.
If you keep the shrimp’s body completely straight and break the tail then the vein will be exposed very easily. You can also use a toothpick in order to expose the vein.
Juicy oven-fried shrimps
- 500 gr shrimps
- freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp pepper flakes Preheat the oven to 180 * C.
- Preheat the oven to 180 * C.
- Peel and devein the shrimps, remove the heads and the shells. Keep the heads and shells to make shrimp broth.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with salt, pepper and flour.
- Add the olive oil in a bowl and dip the shrimps one by one.
- Arrange the shrimps on a baking tray and pour the lemon juice over them.
- Cover the shrimps with baking sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the oil and bake on the grill for about 2 to 3 minutes, until golden.
- Keep the juices from the pan and add pepper flakes, it is excellent dressing.
I will be very happy to hear that you have tried the juicy oven-fried shrimps, not to mention the shrimp broth. You can serve the shrimps as an appetizer, while there are an excellent choice for your sandwich.
Try to make your own bao buns (you can find my recipe here) and serve them with these juice oven-fried shrimps, this is what I did. I will be happy to hear from you either on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!