Oven baked crayfish with truffle oil. If not the most delicious, it is for sure one of the most delicious seafood appetizer you have ever tasted. Ready in 15 minutes.
Last week I wasn’t sure on which recipe to publish today on Teti’s flakes. And confused as I was, I made my typical stroll to the food market, and more specifically to my fishmonger, Nikos.
So when I entered his shop, I was even more confused. I didn’t know what to choose, so many fresh delicacies. And so I ended up carrying different fishes and seafood back home. Anchovies, squid and crayfish.
At first I thought of adding crayfish to the pan, following the logic of crayfish spaghetti (you may find the recipe here). But then I remembered that I had truffle oil in my pantry, as well as truffle salt. Since the frying pans were occupied by the anchovies and the squid, I decide to try an oven baked version of them.
Recipe notes for oven baked crayfish
The recipe is easy to make and it doesn’t require more than 15 minutes. However, there are two points that need your attention. So, if you decide to give it a try – try it, it’s fantastic – you need to pay attention to the following:
- Crayfish preparation: Before spreading truffle paste to the crayfish we must properly prepare it. By using a sharp knife, cut the back in half and remove the vein. Then spread crayfish with truffle paste. We cut the crayfish for two reasons. One, to remove the vein, and two, to help the flavor of truffle to be absorbed by the crayfish.
- Time of cooking: Just like shrimps, crayfish do not require a lot of cooking time. In order to result in a perfect, flavorful and juicy dish we have to bake them for 7-10 minutes. If you decide to use a pan, I would suggest reducing the time in half.
Oven baked crayfish with truffle oil
- 6 crayfish
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, whole
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, truffle oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix until creating a paste. Set aside.
- By using a sharp knife cut the back of the crayfish and remove the vein. Continue with the rest.
- Spread the butter truffle paste on the crayfish, starting from the inside. Then spread the rest on the outside.
- Arrange the crayfish in a small baking pan. Add any remaining butter to the pan.
- With the help of a knife, break the garlic clove and add it to the pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 7 to 10 minutes.
These oven baked crayfish with truffle oil will be your favorite seafood appetizer. Why? Because within 15 minutes you have one of the most impressive and above all delicious and juicy appetizers you have ever tasted.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!