I love recipes that give you the same pleasure but fewer calories and hassle. As this one, the recipe for oven baked donuts filled with creamed honey cream with strawberries.
Why does these donuts have fewer calories? Because this recipe is a baked version of the classic donuts recipe. While, this recipe promises less hassle as you don’t have to spend time over a pan. You just add them to the baking pan and they are ready for baking. That’s it!
Oven baked donuts filled with creamed honey
I got the inspiration for the baked donuts from a new product that arrived in my hands. I am referring to the creamed honey with strawberry, named Alipseto. This product is so pure, without preservatives and palm oil. My heart and hands could not fill a fried donut with this product.
But Alipseto is? Alipseto brand comes from Halkidiki and the company Melimnos, a company with extensive experience in the beekeeping industry. Their love for good honey, and their restless spirit, led them to create the Alipseto product. Alipseto is a new innovative product, which combines excellent quality honey, with aromatic cocoa, with orange fruit and with strawberry fruit. No added sugar, no preservatives, no palm oil, and certainly no genetically modified organisms (GMO FREE). Their products are rich in valuable vitamins and antioxidants.
All stages of production are made in Greece, while by selecting Greek raw ingredients they maintain the high quality of their products. Alipseto is rich in nutritional value, it can be consumed daily by young and old, as a spread in a slice of bread for breakfast, during the day, or as a dressing in sweet or savory delicacies.
HOW TO BE SURE THAT YEAST HAS BEEN ACTIVATED?
In this recipe we need to activate the yeast in lukewarm milk. Be careful, lukewarm, not hot. It will take about 15-20 minutes. We will understand that it is activated when our mixture has foamed.
To help the yeast activate, add a pinch of granulated sugar to the bowl.
CAN I OMIT THE RISING IN THE OVEN?
In most recipes that require the dough to rise, I use the oven at a very low temperature. That is, at about 40-50°C. If you do not want to use the oven you can avoid it by leaving your dough in a warm environment. But you have to double the rising time.
DO I NEED ANY SPECIAL UTENSILS?
You do not need any special utensil for these donuts. I used a cookie cutter with a diameter of 6 cm to give the desired shape, but a corresponding glass will also do the job.
CAN I FRY THEM?
This recipe has only been tested in the oven. By using the oven we have a healthier result. And you will fell less tired If you still prefer the fried version you can fry them in plenty of sunflower oil or corn oil, for 1-2 minutes on each side.
IS IT NECESSARY TO ADD MELTED BUTTER AFTER BAKING?
I have tried to keep the mixture for frying them low in fat. So I did not add too much fat to it. However, because a little extra butter did not hurt anyone I suggest adding melted butter after it is baked. The melted butter will make our donut a little more sinful, while it will help the granulated sugar to stick to it.
HOW MUCH HONEY CREAM SHOULD I ADD?
There is no clear answer to this question. And the reason is quite simple. As much as you want. Use a pastry bag to fill your donuts and when it starts to overflow stop. If you do not have a pastry tube don’t worry. You can cut the donut in half, spread it with honey cream and cover it again. Enjoy your oven baked donuts.
Oven baked donuts filled with creamed honey
- 180 ml milk, lukewarm
- 2 ¼ tsp dry yeast
- a pinch of sugar
- 500 gr all-purpose flour
- 70 gr granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 70 gr melted butter
- 2 eggs, medium
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 50 gr melted butter
- granulated sugar
- creamed honey with strawberry
- In a bowl add the warm milk together with the yeast. Stir and set aside for about 10 minutes or until the yeast is activated. To help the yeast activate, add a pinch of sugar.
- In a stand mixer add the flour, sugar and salt. Stir by hand.
- Add the melted butter to the stand mixer bowl, and then add the eggs one by one.
- Then add the activated yeast and mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes or until it doesn't stick to the bowl. In case the dough is sticky, add a little flour.
- Wrap the bowl of the mixer with a clean towel and place in the oven at 40-50°C until it doubles in size. It will take about 45-60 minutes.
- In a parchment paper roll out the dough with the help of a rolling pin to a thickness of about 3 cm.
- Cut circles using a 6cm round cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps if needed to make 14 donuts. Transfer the parchment paper to a baking tray, wrap with a clean towel and place in the oven at 40-50°C until doubled in size. It will take about 20-30 minutes.
- Bake the donuts at 190°C, for 10-12 minutes.
- Right out of the oven, brush a hot donut all over with 1 tbsp melted butter and roll in a bowl of sugar to coat lightly with sugar. Cut a deep slit in the side of each donut and pipe creamed honey with strawberries with a pastry bag into each one.
Easy to make oven baked donuts. This is definitely a recipe that every mother will love since it is a healthier alternative of a classic donut. As for the kids, come on, I do not have to say anything more. We are talking about a donut!
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!
Leave a Reply