I’ve always been fascinated by dough-based recipes. A little flour is enough to create a canvas ready to welcome your favorite flavors. And if this canvas is also in the shape of a star even better. Savory star bread for your festive table.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE RECIPE
When you see this savory star bread, you may think that it is something difficult, but I assure you that it is not so. The dough is very easy to make, it only takes 5 minutes of kneading in the mixer. Then, like any dough, it will need time to double in volume. Also, seeing the shape of the star, you might think that it is something difficult. Yes, it has a degree of difficulty, which is why he has already prepared a video for you. The difficulty lies in figuring out how to grab the pieces of dough. In the video you will see how I make the rays of the star, easily and effectively.
WHAT FLOUR SHOULD I USE?
Hard flour is ideal for recipes like this. Recipes that require a lot of rising and therefore the dough needs to show great elasticity and resistance to stress.
KEY POINTS OF THE RECIPE
During Christmas we usually prepare a lot of dishes and we have a lot on our minds. Thanks to the yeast from Agios Georgios Mills the yeast does not need to be dissolved. You should just add it directly into the mixture without having to wait for it to activate. Less time for the recipe, more time for us. Mix all the ingredients needed for the dough and just let it rise until it doubles.
WHAT FILLING SHOULD I ADD?
We’ve reached the best part, the filling. You can use whatever you want! For the sake of the truth, it is enough to tell you that you can even make it sweet. But for now let’s stick to its savory version and some ideas for its filling.
With butter: Spread the melted butter over your dough and add a mixture of your favorite herbs, dried or fresh.
Pizza: Spread a soft cheese such as ricotta, along with a little tomato sauce, on top of the dough and add some grated cheese, but also some cold meat cut into cubes. I almost forgot, add some oregano!
Garlic bread: Brush the dough with butter and top with chopped garlic and chopped fresh parsley. Add a little parmesan if you want.
I added basil pesto, parmesan and roasted pine nuts to today’s version of the savory star bread.
THE INGREDIENTS OF THE RECIPE
So if I have convinced you and you want to try this beautiful salty star this holiday season, then all you have to do is get the following:
- Hard flour No1 Agios Georgios Mills
- Dry yeast Agios Georgios Mills
- Corn flour
- Salt & sugar
- Lukewarm milk
While for the filling, as I told you above, the options are countless. I used basil pesto, garlic, parmesan and pine nuts.
Savory Star Bread
- 240 gr hard flour No1 Saint George Mills
- 40 gr corn flour
- 2 tbsp dry yeast
- a pinch of sugar
- 60 gr butter, room temperature
- 180 ml lukewarm milk
For the filling
- 6 tbsp basil pesto
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- In the bowl of the mixer, add all the ingredients for the dough. Beat for 3-4 minutes, or until you have a soft dough that comes away from the bowl.240 gr hard flour No1 Saint George Mills, 40 gr corn flour, 2 tbsp dry yeast, a pinch of sugar, 60 gr butter, room temperature, 180 ml lukewarm milk
- Cover the bowl with a transparent film and leave the dough in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
- As soon as it doubles, cut it into 4 equal balls. With the help of a rolling pin, open the balls to a diameter of 30 cm.
- Place the first piece of dough on a baking sheet and spread 1/3 of the filling. Place the second piece of dough on top and spread another 1/3 of the filling. Repeat with the next piece of dough, ending with the filling. Cover with the fourth and last piece of dough.
- Place the center of a 5 cm bowl and then with the help of a sharp knife we cut the dough into 16 equal pieces.
- Form the rays of the star, twisting the pieces in pairs in opposite directions.
- Cover with a transparent film and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Brush the top with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
For the filling
- In a small pan, lightly toast the pine nuts.2 tbsp pine nuts
- In a blender, add the pesto, the garlic clove, the grated Parmesan and the pine nuts. Blend and set aside.6 tbsp basil pesto, 3 tbsp grated parmesan, 1 garlic clove
So this was my proposal for this year’s festive table. A savory star bread that should not be missing from any home. Ready easily and quickly, you can fill it with whatever makes you happy.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!