The most delicious apple pie is here. I am sure you have heard it again but this is the most delicious apple pie you have ever eaten. Trust me.
If you are looking for a recipe for a quick and easy apple pie then you are not in the right place. But if you are looking for the most delicious apple pie you have ever eaten in your life then be sure that you do not need to look elsewhere.
There are many recipes for apple pies. And I have tried several of them. But no one is like this one. The recipe I used as my guide is by Cenk Sönmezsoy, a passionate man about baking based in Istanbul. He has a unique style which if you want to explore then you should look after his book The Artful Baker.
Once reading the recipe you will think that it is exhausting to make. But if you read it carefully and organize the needed steps correctly then it will looks much more simple.
Understanding the recipe
Step 1: Start with the dough as it needs to stay in the fridge for 2 hours. You may make the dough the night before.
Step 2: Continue with the apples. In a medium saucepan add apple cores and peels and then add water and bring to boil. You will get an a broth of incredible taste. But the most important thing is that this broth contains pectin from apples. Cenk Sönmezsoy uses salep in his recipe to thicken the broth more. I did not have any, nor did I try to find. I replaced it with cornflour, and the result was excellent.
Step 3: By usina a mandolin, cut the apples into very thin slices and add them to a large bowl. Add the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and cornflour to the bowl. Set aside in order apples to release their juices, then drain them. In the next step we will combine apple juices with the apple broth in order to create a magical apple sauce.
Step 4: Prepare the apple sauce by boiling the broth from Step 2 with the apple juices from Step 3. While the sauce is boiling we can roll out of the dough.
Step 5: Make the apple pie and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes. Note: Personally I chose to make a lattice top for my pie. You can always roll the other half of the dough on top. Then trim the extra dough from the edges and pinch the edges to create a crimp. Make sure edges are sealed together. Remember to cut four slits in the top of the pie to create a vent so that the air that will be trapped inside can escape.
The secret behind its yumminess
There are two main things that make this apple pie unique. The way of slicing the apples, as well as the apple sauce.
- Cutting apples: For this recipe it is necessary to use a mandolin. So the slices will be really thin and evenly cut. This way all the pieces will be cooked the same, while there will be no gaps in between.
- Apple sauce: Nothing goes to waste with this recipe. Neither the apple cores, nor the peels. We use them in order to create a magically thick apple sauce full of flavor.
The most delicious apple pie
For making the crust
- 250 gr cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 160 ml cold water
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 400 gr all-purpose flour +for rolling the dough
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For making the filling
- 2 kg apples (1 kg granny smith – 1 kg gala)
- 200 gr sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 3+2 tsp cornflour
- 3 ½ tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
For the pie
- 1 egg yolk
- brown sugar
For making the dough
- Cut the butter into cubes and put it back in the fridge to keep it cool.
- In the mixer bowl – use the hook attachment – add the cold water, the vinegar and then the butter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until the dough resembles coarse meal. If the dough mostly sticks together add a little bit more water.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and flatten each piece into a disk of 15 cm diameter. Wrap them with plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
For making the filling
- (Step 2) Peel the apples and cut them in half. In a medium-sized saucepan, add the apple cores peels. Add water until covered. Boil for 10-15 minutes, until the amount of liquid is reduced to 1/3. After the mixture boils, strain it through a mesh strainer into a separate medium saucepan, pressing on the solids to extract all of the apple broth.
- (Step 3) Meanwhile by using a mandolin, cut the apples into very thin slices. In a large bowl add the apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and cornflour. Set aside for 20 minutes.Then drain the apple slices for 30 minutes in order to get their juices. For best results I divided the apple slices into two strainers. From the juices of the apples keep half a cup.
- (Step 4) Add the apples juices and the apple broth into a small pot. Boil for 20-30 minutes, or until there is an amount equal to half a cup.
- Dissolve 2 tsp of cornflour in the juices of the apples. Just before removing the apple sauce from the heat, add butter and the dissolved cornflour. Stir quickly and boil for another 2 minutes. Set aside to come to room temperature.
For making the apple pie
- Grease the pan with butter and set aside.
- In order to roll out the dough we will need two parchment sheets and flour. Add one disc between the parchment sheets after sprinkling it with flour. Roll out to a diameter of about 33 cm. While rolling, if necessary, add a little more flour. If the dough softens a lot, then transfer it to the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 of the amount of apples and then pour 1/3 of the amount of apple sauce. Repeat until you have used all of the apple and sauce.
- Put in the fridge and at the same time open the second piece of dough. Personally I chose to make a lattice top for my pie. You can always roll the other half of the dough on top. Then trim the extra dough from the edgesand pinch the edges to create a crimp. Make sure edges are sealed together. Remember to cut four slits in the top of the pie to create a vent so that the air that will be trapped inside can escape.
- Brush the pie with a beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with brown sugar over the top.
- Bake (finally) the apple pie in a preheated oven at 200°C, on the lower rack. After 20 minutes lower the temperature to 175°C and bake for about another 50-55 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the apple pie cool for about 2.5-3 hours.
- Serve straight or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
So this was the recipe for the most delicious apple pie. Yeah it sounds a little bit time consuming and difficult to make. But if you read carefully the recipe and organize the needed steps everything will look easier. Believe me, the result will reward you.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!