Are you ready for the most delicious butter cookies you have ever eaten? Their smell will drive you crazy, while the feeling from their buttery texture will stay with you forever.
I am pretty sure that you have heard similar lines, but really this recipe will give you the most delicious butter cookies. Cookies that will fill your home with beautiful scents, and will give your palates moments of joy and excitement.
I got this recipe from my beloved aunt Eleni, my mom’s older sister. I haven’t changed not a single thing, because it did not even cross my mind. How could I? I still remember the first bite.
As I opened the large glass jar to grab the first cookie, a wave of butter mixed with vanilla scent tickled my nose. The first impression was great. The first bite, magical. The cookie broke gently into two pieces and melted in my mouth. I closed my eyes and grabbed a second one.
The dough is quite soft and crumbles very easily. Do not be afraid, however, if it crumbles you can easily reshape it. While, as you roll the dough with the rolling pin, you may need to add a little flour, so that it does not stick.
The following recipe is about 25-30 cookies. Which means that 2 pans should be used. Personally, I prefer adding each pan to the oven one by one. But, if you have faith in your oven you may bake them at once.
Finally, what you need to pay attention to in the recipe is the cooking time. As each oven is different, your cookies may be ready faster or slower. In any case, do not leave the oven during the last minutes of baking. Two minutes of absence can be devastating.
The most delicious butter cookies
- 250 gr butter
- 140 gr powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks, medium
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 400 gr all-purpose flour (plus extra for rolling)
- In the bowl of the mixer, beat the butter with the icing sugar, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and then the vanilla, salt and baking powder. Beat for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the flour and beat for another 2-3 minutes. At this point, you can knead it lightly with your hands and shape it into a ball.
- Place parchment paper on your working surface and dust it with a little flour. Divide the dough in half and place one piece in the parchment paper .
- Bu using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a 0.5 cm thick sheet. If necessary, dust it with a little more flour.
- Give the dough your favorite shape, either with a sharp knife or with a cookie cutter.
- Carefully transfer the parchment paper to a baking tray, and continue with the rest of the dough.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven, at 175 °C for 10-15 minutes, set to fan.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 20 minutes.
So this was my recipe, or should I better say the recipe of my aunt Eleni, for the most delicious butter cookies. I can reassure you that their smell will drive you crazy, while their buttery texture will be unforgettable. Of course I have to warn you, they are highly addictive. No one can eat just one.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
Become a member of Teti’s flakes family
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!