If you had the chance to bake only one cake during the winter, then this is definitely the cake, the whole orange cake. A cake that is fragrant, super moist and ideal for a morning coffee.
WHAT ORANGES SHOULD I USE?
As in this recipe we are going to use the whole orange, we should use unwaxed oranges. Also, before boiling them, we must wash them very carefully with a sponge. While, in terms of the total quantity of oranges that we will need are about two medium oranges, which weigh a total of 300 grams.
Why should I boil the oranges?
We have to boil the oranges in order to eliminate the bitter aftertaste they leave. For this reason, in fact, what I suggest is to refresh the water at least once during boiling.
Is there any need for special equipment?
For the making this cake, unfortunately, it is necessary to use a blender, but also a mixer. By using the blender we will puree our oranges, which is impossible to do only with a knife.
While, the use of a mixer is considered necessary as we have to beat the eggs with the sugar for about 7 minutes, until the mixture gets fluffy enough. Can you do it by hand? It sounds difficult to me…
Finally, although I baked my cake in a round pan without the characteristic hole in the middle, I would suggest you do the opposite. If you use a classic round bundt cake pan, or a loaf pan, you will get a more uniform baking of the cake.
Any extra tip?
After boiling the oranges, by using a knife, we have to cut them into smaller pieces. At this stage we must be careful to remove any pits or large pieces of the white orange flesh.
Whole orange cake
- 300 gr. oranges
- 225 gr. granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, large
- 275 gr. all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 140 gr. butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- In a medium saucepan add water and then the whole oranges. Boil for a total of 40 minutes. After the first 20 minutes, refresh the water and continue boiling.
- Remove the oranges from the water and chop them finely with a knife. With the help of a blender, mash them until they become like puree. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, on medium speed, add the granulated sugar and the eggs. Beat for 7 minutes, until the mixture gets fluffy.
- Add the orange puree to the mixture and mix on low speed until smooth.
- Then add the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir on low speed until smooth.
- Finally add the melted butter and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a cake pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C fan, for 50-60 minutes or until a clean knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes inside the cake pan, and then transfer the cake to a wire rack and to completely cool.
Whole orange cake, a cake that you shouldn’t miss. Your kitchen will be filled with great aroma, your table will be decorated with a super moist cake, while your coffee will get the best company.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons”and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!