Beetroot ice cream with basil and walnuts, an incredibly refreshing ice cream. The sweetness of the beetroot fits perfectly with the freshness of the basil and the crispy, caramelized walnuts. All in one spoon.
I totally understand the beetroot ice cream isn’t the most common flavor, however it fascinates me so much. Let me begin with its vivid colour. I cannot even describe it with words. It is trully amazing.
But what about the flavor? At the begining, I was a little bit reluctant. Besides, that’s why I made a relatively small amount. I searched for various recipes, others based on beet pulp and other juice. I ended up experimenting on a recipe based on the juice of the beetroot, I thought it as more delicate in some way.
I have used the recipe of my lovely Linda Lomelino, you can find her recipe by clicking here. Her recipe is simple, easy and relatively quick, except for the waiting time – there is no other way.
But I wanted someting more on this ice cream. So, I ended up adding some fresh basil to the milk while boiling, and some caramelized walnuts to the ice cream.
Beetroot, basil and walnuts paired perfectly together. The sweet taste of the beet was highlighted even more by the refreshing basil, while the caramelized crunchy walnuts created a wonderful contrast to the velvety texture of the ice cream.
Notes to the beetroot ice cream recipe
- Cleaning the beet: Beetroot as a bulb that spends all its life deep inside the soil. So, it needs a very good cleaning, or even peeling it with a peeler.
- Beet juice: This recipe of ice cream requires 100 ml of beet juice. I personally used about 250g raw beetroot in order to obtain 100 ml of the vivid beet juice. But, depending on the beetroot, may need more or less. That’s why you better have a little more. If you have some leftover, you can always make this awesome recipe for beetroot burger.
- Ice Cream Machine: If you do not have an ice cream machine you can still make the ice cream. With a little more effort. You can put the mixture in the freezer for half an hour and then mix it with the mixer. You will need to repeat this process 4-5 times. In this way, we break the crystals created during cooling and the ice cream will end up with a velvety texture.
Beetroot ice cream with basil and walnuts
Beetroot ice cream with basil and walnuts
- Ice cream machine
- 100 ml beetroot juice (I used 250 gr of raw beetroot)
- 300 ml heavy cream
- finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 200 ml milk
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- 90 gr granulated sugar
- 1/4 tbsp salt
For caramelized walnuts
- 50 gr walnuts
- 30 gr granulated sugar
- 10 ml water
Making the caramelized walnuts
- In a large non-stick pan, add the water and sugar and boil.
- Add the walnuts to the pan and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until caramelized. Spread the caramelized walnuts on a non-stick paper and allow to cool.
For making the ice cream
- Start by making the beetroot juice. After thoroughly cleaning the beets, ideally, peel them with the peeler, cut them into small pieces and put them in the juicer.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix the beetroot juice, cream, zest, and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl add the cornstarch together with 2 tbsp. milk, stir until dissolved.
- In a saucepan add the milk, sugar and basil leaves. Do not chop the leaves as we want to remove them later. Simmer on medium heat until sugar melts.
- Remove the basil and then add to the mixture to the cornstarch and stir vigorously until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add to the mixture the beet juice. Leave aside and let it cool completely. Ideally, let it cool in the fridge for one night.
- Add the mixture in the ice cream machine and follow the instructions of the ice cream machine. If you do not have an ice cream machine you can see the notes above on what to do.
- Usually, ice cream needs around 20-30 minutes to the ice cream machine maker. Shortly before completing the process, add the walnuts.
- Transfer to a container suitable for freezing and place in the freezer for about 2-4 hours, or until it freezes completely.
This was my proposal for a not so common ice cream. Highly refreshing, velvety in texture, beautiful in color and with some crispy surprises on its inside. Remember that there is no reason not to try it. Even if you do not have an ice cream machine maker, you can always make it if you keep stirring.
Would love to hear that you have made the ice cream so please do not hesitate to contact me either on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
Used equipment on this recipe
Kitchen aid ice cream maker attachment
Keep in mind that I may receive commissions when you click on the above links and make purchases. However, this does not impact my reviews and comparisons. I try my best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.
Yummy!! it sounds sooo good! I have been drinking beetroot + other fruits and vegges juice because I was a bit anemic (and I don’t like the strong taste of raw beetroot), so this could be a great recipe to try! thanks for sharing 😀
Oh thank you very much Alicia! I am very happy that my recipe will be helpful for you! 😊 I will be waiting for your feedback!
Oh thank you very much! 😊