Cherry tomato risotto, a mouthwatering but so simple and easy to make recipe at the same time. An ode to summer.
Usually I look forward to summer for making some yemista (a staple Greek dish), yes ok for the sea too, but mostly for yemista. But now I think this mouthwatering risotto with whole cherry tomatoes has stolen my heart.
I have cooked this risotto for the very first time during my camping vacations next to the sea. You see on the camp there are no luxuries like many utensils and no room for complicated recipes.
So, even if it sounds a little bit strange I decided under these circumstances to make a risott. And I did not regrete it at all.
Initially the cherry tomatoes were sautéed in the oil, resulting in giving to the oil an incredible taste and aroma.
Then I have added the rice, which was cooked slowly in the broth and after the tomatoes had been removed. Letting the cherry tomatoes in, it would be more like a sauce.
Finally, butter and parmesan were added. The two of them made the final touch to the creamy texture and finish of the risotto. Did I say this plate was an ode to summer?
Tips for making your risotto great
- Rice: When making a risotto you must use very specific varieties of rice, with a high starch content. Choosing a rice that doesn’t have enough starch means that the creamy texture of a good risotto will never be achieved. So use Arborio rice or Carnarolli.
- Key ingredient: The key ingredient usually comes in the middle of the cooking, but it depends on how long the specific ingredient takes to be cooked. For example, if you choose shrimp, they should be added 3 minutes before the end.
- Cooking: Risotto wants your love and attention. The broth should be added gradually, and the rice should be stirred with a wooden spoon.
Cherry tomato risotto
Cherry tomato risotto
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 350 gr cherry tomatoes
- 300 gr rice for risotto
- 100 ml white wine
- 700 ml vegetable broth
- 50 gr butter
- 100 gr parmesan, grated
- freshly ground pepper
- Sauté in a little olive oil over medium heat for at least 3 minutes the onion. Then add the cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- With a fork and as the cherry tomatoes begin to soften push them to get their liquids. This process will take about 10 minutes.
- At the same time, heat the broth. Once the tomatoes have softened, remove them from the pan, then add the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the glass of white wine and mix until the alcohol evaporates.
- Then add 2-3 tablespoons of warm broth and mix with a wooden spoon. Once the broth is absorbed, add gradually the broth and repeat until the rice is ready (about 18 minutes).
- Before adding the last tablespoon of the broth, add the cherry tomatoes to the pan again.
- Once the rice is ready, remove from the heat and pour the butter, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- With a wooden spoon, mix well and leave the risotto for 2 minutes to rest.
- Serve immediately after and add some parmesan and pepper on top.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and made you to try making homemade risotto with your favorite star ingredient. Always remember that for making a good risotto we need specific varieties of rice, a good star ingredient that will be added to the pan at the right time and be patient while adding the broth.
Stay in touch
I will be over the moon if you try the recipe of this amazing cherry tomato risotto. I will be happy to hear from you either on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
Leave a Reply