This wonderful time of year has come when the neighborhoods are smelling lilac and mastic. Could my kitchen be missing from this beautiful scene? Of course not! That’s why today I will serve you Greek sweet bread with hazelnut praline.
One of the most vivid childhood memories is the end of the Easter fast. That along with the period of fasting finally ended the anticipation to taste my mom’s Greek sweet bread that had tickle my nose with their wonderful smell. On Easter table the adults of the family mainly ate meat based dishes, while me and my sister we ate Greek sweet bread with milk. And yes, it was worth the anticipation. It was always worth it.
But the years have passed and now I am the adult and therefore the one who should take care of the Easter table. So first recipe for this year: Greek sweet bread with hazelnut cream. Sounds difficult to you? Well it is not.
The key to success
I have already talked to you about the Easy Bake products created by Saint George Mills. And I will do it again in today’s recipe. I won’t hide from you that I was always cautious when it comes to ready mixtures. You see, I prefer to do everything myself from scratch, as this will ensure the quality and taste I want. However, so far, the specific series of products seems to cover my needs. In addition, the mixtures of this series really stand out for their quality as, among other things, they do not contain palm oil.
First I tried the mixture for the chocolate muffins and I can say that I was excited, while at the same time great expectations for the other mixtures were born. But I did not expect that the mixture for the Greek sweet bread would exceed my expectations. And not just my own, but my mom who is the toughest judge. Especially when it comes to Greek sweet bread. In fact, when she tried it, she exclaimed “Well, this tastes like mine!”.
If you remember, last year I posted you my mom’s recipe for Greek sweet bread. A recipe that ensures you, if you follow the recipe as it is, the most fragrant and fluffy Greek sweet breads. Which, of course, is guaranteed by today’s recipe, with less stress thanks to the Agios Georgios Mills.
With the Easy Bake mixture, you not only get rid of the unnecessary stress about whether your Greek sweet breads will succeed, but you also save time. As you need only 2 hours in total to enjoy a gorgeous, soft and fluffy Greek sweet bread.
Greek sweet bread with hazelnut praline
- 400 gr Easy Bake Greek sweet bread mixture
- 140 gr water
- 1 yeast sachet (included in the package of Easy Bake)
- 4 tbsp hazelnut praline
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 50°C, fan.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water. Add the Easy Bake Greek sweet bread mixture and mix until a uniform and smooth dough is formed.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and place it in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the oven, knead again for 5 minutes and place again in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the oven and cut the dough in half. With the help of a rolling pin shape two rectangular dough (in total four, two for each sweet bread).
- Spread along the dough a tablespoon of hazelnut praline.
- Cover the praline with the edge of the dough and roll the dough into a log. Roll gently and make sure it closes well. Shape the breads into a beautiful braid.
- Place the breads in a pan and put them in the oven for 30 minutes, until they double in size.
- Remove the breads from the oven and preheat the oven to 150°C, fan. Spread the breads with egg wash and almond fillet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. To make sure that the breads are baked correctly, check them by pressing them lightly by hand and see if they regain their original shape.
So that was my suggestion for this year’s Greek sweet bread. Greek sweet bread with hazelnut praline. A recipe that filled my kitchen with lovely scents and managed to take me back to my childhood.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons”and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!
Leave a Reply