Oven baked donuts with Mastelo cow cheese, prosciutto, arugula, béchamel with Mastelo and poached egg. Since we have to eat breakfast like a king.
After spending another week running behind stressful deadlines do you feel the need to reward yourself for making it? If yes, then you should know that this recipe is for you.
These donuts are easy to make since they are oven baked, there is no need for standing over a pan. Poached eggs are also easy to make, too. Why? Keep reading and you will find my tips.
Should I say something about Mastelo cow cheese? In this particular recipe I used it in the béchamel and also fried in the donut. Cow cheese Mastelo is loved for its robust texture and deeply savory flavor – plus for its capacity to be grilled, barbecued or fried without losing its shape. It’s sure you fall in love once you taste it, with its meaty and enjoyably rubbery texture, versatility and umami flavor.
HOW TO BE SURE THAT YEAST HAS BEEN ACTIVATED?
In this recipe we need to activate the yeast in lukewarm milk. Be careful, lukewarm, not hot. It will take about 15-20 minutes. We will understand that it is activated when our mixture has foamed.
To help the yeast activate, add a pinch of granulated sugar to the bowl.
CAN I OMIT THE RISING IN THE OVEN?
In most recipes that require the dough to rise, I use the oven at a very low temperature. That is, at about 40-50°C. If you do not want to use the oven you can avoid it by leaving your dough in a warm environment. But you have to double the rising time.
ANY TIPS FOR THE POACHED EGGS?
In this recipe you have to pay attention while poaching the eggs. The first egg may not be as beautiful as you wish, but I don’t want you to be discouraged. Let’s go for the next one. You should pay attention to the following while preparing:
- Add the eggs one by one to the pot. Unless you choose to try the method with the cling film. In this case we take a cup and lay the inside with a cling film. Then add olive oil and then the egg. Pull the cling film out of the cup and tie a knot near the egg. Add it in a pot of simmering water for 3-4 minutes. Ready!
- In case you stay true to the recipe and do not use a cling film then we use some vinegar. Adding vinegar to raw eggs for at least 2 minutes before cooking helps maintain its shape. Don’t skip this step.
- With or without a cling film, the water in which the egg will boil should simmer.
Oven baked donuts with Mastelo
- 180 ml milk, lukewarm
- 2 ¼ tsp dry yeast
- 500 gr all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 70 gr melted butter
- 2 eggs, medium
For the béchamel
- 40 gr butter
- 60 gr all-purpose flour
- 300 ml milk
- 50 gr cow cheese Mastelo, grated
For the eggs
- 6 eggs
- 12 tbsp vinegar
- 300 gr cow cheese Mastelo
- arugula leaves
- 6 slices prosciutto, thin
- 6 poached eggs
- In a bowl add the warm milk together with the yeast. Stir and set aside for about 10 minutes or until the yeast is activated. To help the yeast activate, add a pinch of sugar.
- In a stand mixer add the flour and salt. Stir by hand.
- Add the melted butter to the stand mixer bowl, and then add the eggs one by one.
- Then add the activated yeast and mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes or until it doesn't stick to the bowl. In case the dough is sticky, add a little flour.
- Wrap the bowl of the mixer with a clean towel and place in the oven at 40-50°C until it doubles in size. It will take about 45-60 minutes.
- In a parchment paper roll out the dough with the help of a rolling pin to a thickness of about 3 cm.
- Cut circles using a 10 cm round cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps if needed to make 14 donuts. Transfer the parchment paper to a baking tray, wrap with a clean towel and place in the oven at 40-50°C until doubled in size. It will take about 20-30 minutes.
- Bake the donuts at 190°C, for 10-12 minutes. Right out of the oven, brush a hot donut all over with 1 tbsp melted butter.
For the béchamel sauce
- Place a pot over low heat. Add the butter and let it melt while gently stirring with a whisk.
- Add the flour and start to whisk. Add the milk in 3 batches while stirring continuously.
- As soon as ¾ of the milk is absorbed, add the remaining milk and whisk.
- Remove from heat and whisk. Add the Mastelo cow cheese, reserving 1 handful for the end of the recipe. Whisk to combine.
For the eggs
- In a small saucepan add water and bring to a boil.
- In a ramekin add 2 tbsp. vinegar and then the egg. Wait 2 minutes for the vinegar to create a film over them.
- Lower the heat and let the water to simmer. By using a hand whisk, stir the boiling water in the pot in order to create a whirlpool.
- Cut the Mastelo cow cheese into slices and grill it over medium to high heat on both sides until soft. Set aside.
- Cut each donut in half and add arugula, 2 tbsp. béchamel, a slice of prosciutto, Mastelo cheese and finally the egg.
So this was one of my favorite breakfast ideas, Oven baked donuts with Mastelo cow cheese, prosciutto, arugula, béchamel with Mastelo and poached egg. A breakfast for kings.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more if your make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons”and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!