Pear, a fruit that lives in the shade of apple. But not for long, because I have the easiest and simplest pear crumble pie that will steal your heart this fall.
Personally, I have the same love for pears as I do for apples. But most people prefer apples, especially when it comes to cakes and pies. If this autumn however you want to give pears a chance then this is the right time.
This cake is very easy to make, requires few ingredients and is very fragrant. What do you say? Are you willing to bake?
As I said earlier, this cake is very easy. It does not require special knowledge, and you will only need to use one utensil. Where you should pay attention however are the pears. You can choose any variety you like, but what you have to pay attention to ripeness. The pears should not be ripe and soft, but they should be hard and crispy.
If you choose to use soft pears then baking will make them even softer, almost like a jam. We do not want this to happen, for sure. So before you start making the pie make sure you check your pears.
Pear crumble pie
Pear crumble pie
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 100 gr almonds
- 120 gr cold butter in cubes
- 4 pears
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- powdered sugar for serving
- First we peel and cut the pears into small pieces.
- Put the pieces of pears in the pan where we are going to bake the pie. Then add the honey, cornstarch and half of the cloves and chopped almonds.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, the rest of the almonds and cloves.
- Then add the cubes of butter. Using our fingers we crush the butter with the flour mixture.
- Add the crumbles over the pears.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Ideally serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel.
Today’s recipe was a very easy pie, without any special skills needed. All you have to pay attention to, is how mature the pears are. Remember that we shouldn’t use ripe pears, but crispy ones. If you do not like pears you can easily replace them with apples.
Whatever the fruit, whatever you prefer the only sure thing is that autumn is the season for baking. Either with pears or apples but even with pumpkin.
What is your favorite autumnal ingredient for pies? I would love to share it with me either on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
Thank you very much dear! Happy to hear that!
Ooh that looks tasty! I eat less pears than apples, probably like a lot of people, but you have inspired me to do something this weekend with pears – and definitely with custard . Yum!
Oh thank you very much! I am so happy after reading your comment! Would love to hear your feedback! Have a nice day!
I shall do my best to remember. A question – your favourite variety of pear is? I used to say ‘Conference’ as they were mostly those in British Supermarkets but recently I discovered another variety which was slightly yellow with a blush/kiss of pink – and now I can’t remember the name of it!
I really love Bosc variety! Maybe you are looking for seckel!