Spaghetti with turkey ragu. This is undoubtedly the most Christmas pasta recipe that I have ever made. For all of you who want to taste turkey this Christmas but in a very different version.
This particular recipe was created due to my need to include turkey on a Christmas table. You may be wondering why I did not prefer its most popular version, the well-known stuffed turkey. I did not like it because I personally love the chicken in the oven, and of course in its stuffed version.
Τurkey is a meat that is on the list of the healthiest and nutritious options, as it has low fat, low caloric value, but high nutritional value. So it should not be missing from any table.
WHAT PASTA TO CHOOSE
So I was led to a recipe based on my favorite MISKO pasta, and more specifically MISKO Golden Line. The unique single variety pasta with excellent taste, golden yellow color and high percentage of protein, was the ideal choice for this demanding recipe.
This unique, single-variety wheat pasta with the exceptional taste, golden yellow color and high percentage of proteins, is the ideal choice for both simple and demanding recipes. The classic and most popular shape of pasta in incomparable quality, offering an ideal grip to this sauce.
FLAVOR BOOSTERS OF THE RECIPE
For the spaghetti with turkey ragu I used minced turkey breast. But as turkey is a meat that is low in fat, I personally preferred to enhance the flavor of my sauce. And I achieved this by adding bacon. While, the tasty result was boosted a little bit more with the addition of dried wild mushrooms. I first soaked the mushrooms in lukewarm water, and then added them to the sauce. While, part of the water used for the dried mushrooms was added to the sauce for extra umaminess.
WHAT VEGETABLES WERE USED?
The classic recipe of a ragu sauce, in addition to meat, is based on vegetables. Vegetables such as onion, carrot and celery. Personally, I am not very fond of celery, so you will not find it in my recipe.
In my recipe for turkey ragu I first sauté the bacon and then remove it from the pan. Then I added chopped vegetables to the pan and after they soften I remove them as well. Do not be tempted to add them all to the pan as they do not have the same cooking time. In addition, this way the vegetables will be sautéed in olive oil in which we previously sautéed bacon (meaning extra umaminess).
Spaghetti with turkey ragu
- 500 gr Golden Line MISKO
- 20 gr dried wild mushrooms
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 100 gr bacon, into cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 500 gr turkey breast minced
- ¾ cup red wine
- ½ cup mushroom broth
- 300 ml tomato sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- finely chopped parsley
- Add the dried wild mushrooms in lukewarm water. Set aside for at least 15 minutes. Remove from the water, drain and chop finely. Keep aside 1/2 cup of water.
- Heat a large pan over medium to high heat and add the olive oil. Add the bacon and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the carrot, onion, dried mushrooms, garlic and bay leaf to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the minced turkey to the pan and cook, breaking the minced meat with a fork, until golden brown and cooked, for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the bacon and vegetables to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and cook by scraping any browned pieces from the bottom of the pan, until the wine has completely evaporated.
- Add the mushroom broth and tomato sauce. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- At the same time we prepare the pasta. Fill a large pot with 5 liters of water and bring to boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, add 35 gr. salt and add the Spaghetti Gold Line MISKO. Stir and simmer for 9'.
- Drain the pasta and transfer it to the pot with the sauce. Stir gently and serve immediately, sprinkling with chopped fresh parsley.
Spaghetti with turkey ragu. So this was not just a simple Saturday pasta. It was a very festive spaghetti dish, delicious and full of umami thanks to the addition of bacon, mushrooms and the excellent pasta Golden Line MISKO.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!