Can a burnt ingredient make a salad dish to shine? Sounds a little weird to you? Rightly so. It would sound to me too. But this burnt cauliflower, bean and anchovy salad was a real surprise.
THE INGREDIENTS OF THE RECIPE
If you want to taste this celebration of flavors and colors then all you have to do is get the following:
- white beans
With the above ingredients we will make this wonderful salad, while for its dressing you will need the following:
- dried peppers
- red pepper flakes
- dried coriander
- olive oil
The dressing of the salad is very intense and delicious. This is because we will first burn the ingredients in a hot pan before adding them to the olive oil and lemon juice.
Why burn the ingredients?
For this amazing salad with burnt cauliflower, beans and anchovies we have to char the cauliflower. While for her dressing, as I mentioned earlier, we should also burn the ingredients in a hot pan before adding them to the olive oil.
Ideally the cauliflower should burn in a fire, but given the home conditions we will do it on the chargrill. But why do we char cauliflower? This process creates chemical reactions on the surface of the vegetable. Chemical reactions that have a very pleasant effect on our palate as they impart a delicious complexity, a bitterness but at the same time sweetness.
Burnt cauliflower, bean and anchovy salad
- 250 gr white beans
- 1 cauliflower
- 10 anchovies
- ½ bunch of dill, finely chopped
- ½ pomegranate
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts
- freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 4 dried rep peppers, roughly broken in half
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 lemon, its skin and juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- Add the beans to a bowl of salted water and soak for 8-12 hours.
- Boil the beans in clean salted water for about 20-30 minutes or until soft, taking care not to over boiling them. In case the water foams, skim with a ladle.
- In a saucepan add water and boil the cauliflower for 5 minutes. Strain it and dry it well.
- Arrange the cauliflower in a baking pan and sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake on the grill for about 10-15 minutes, or until it gets a nice color.
- In a large bowl, mix the beans together with the cauliflower, dill, pomegranate, hazelnuts and dressing.
- Try and correct in salt, pepper or lemon.
For the dressing
- Burn a pan over high heat. Once the pan is smoking, reduce to medium-high and add the dried peppers, the red pepper flakes, the garlic, the coriander and the lemon skin. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- In a bowl add the olive oil and the lemon juice. Add the contents from the pan into the bowl.
So this was my recipe for one of my favorite winter salads. A salad with burnt cauliflower, beans and anchovies, which can be served as a main meal. You will love it.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!