I think we can all agree that January is a month that we want to eat lighter but also to meet new flavors. Somehow I felt the same way, which led me to a carrot soup with ginger, hot pepper and coconut milk.
This soup was a pleasant surprise for my own taste buds. When I started thinking about making a carrot soup I often wondered if the result would be too sweet because of its natural sweetness. However, I was impressed with the final result as the coriander, the fresh ginger and the hot pepper brought the soup to the balance I wanted. In addition, I will not hide from you that I was worried about whether the coconut milk will cover the other flavors. But the coconut milk was there to do what it needed to do. That is, to harmoniously pair the contrasts between the sweetness of the carrot and the sautéed onion with the spark of ginger and the spicy notes of hot pepper.
So if you want to enjoy this spicy carrot soup with ginger and coconut milk, all you have to do is gather around the following necessary ingredients:
- Onion, garlic and carrots (who saw that coming?)
- Coconut oil and milk
- Coriander seeds, ground
- Fresh ginger
- White wine and boiling water
- Lime, fresh coriander and thyme for serving
If you are a fan of hot flavors, you can optionally add hot pepper. While, I will also suggest the soup to be served with carrot pickles but also with toasted bread. I personally loved the explosions caused by a spoonful of hot and velvety soup along with a cool and crunchy pickled carrot. While, I toasted my bread in a little butter and fresh thyme. It was quite a pleasure.
So if I convinced you and you want to accompany this wonderful spicy carrot soup with pickles then keep reading. For the carrot pickles we will use ingredients that we will add in our soup. In addition, we will need a little vinegar. Add to a jar half a cup of vinegar, half a cup of boiling water, a little fresh ginger, dried coriander, salt and sliced carrot. Set aside for at least 8 hours. Ready!
The recipe process is very simple. First sauté the vegetables in coconut oil, first the onion and garlic and then the carrot. Then add the ground coriander, ginger and hot pepper in case we choose to add it. Add wine, coconut milk, water, salt, boil for about 15 minutes and blend. Ready!
Carrot soup with ginger, hot pepper and coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, cut in pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 500 gr carrots, cut into slices
- 1 tbsp coriander, ground
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger
- ½ hot pepper, cut into slices
- 300 ml white wine
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 lt boiling water
- olive oil
- fresh coriander
- fresh thyme
- toasted bread
- In a medium saucepan, over medium to high heat, add the coconut oil and sauté the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and sauté for another 3-4 minutes, or until slightly softened.
- With the help of a pestle ground the coriander. Add to the saucepan together with the fresh ginger and the hot pepper. Mix well and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add wine and cook, stirring, until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the coconut milk, boiling water and salt to the pot.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Add a little olive oil to the pot, and with the help of a blender make our soup velvety.
- Serve with fresh coriander, thyme, carrot pickles and toasted bread.
So this was my recipe for one of the most special and delicious soups I have ever made. Carrot soup with ginger, hot pepper and coconut milk. If you want you can skip the hot pepper, it will be just as tasty but more suitable for sensitive palates.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!