January belongs to the citrus. And after the meat-eating period of the holidays, how could this month miss an elegant velvet fish soup with plenty of lemon juice. Next to it are the necessary winter salads with even more lemon juice.
BASIC INGREDIENTS OF THE RECIPE
To enjoy this wonderful velvet fish soup you will need the following necessary ingredients:
- Fish suitable for soup
- Vegetables (garlic, onion, potatoes, carrots, celery root)
- Olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- White wine
- Salt & pepper
While, if you want to give a finer note to your fish soup then all you have to do is add a little Kozani yolk (saffron) organic powder. While optionally you can serve it with edible cappuccino leaves, leaves which have a peppery taste. Finally, if you are one of those who love spicy notes, a little extra red pepper flakes will be ideal.
HOW TO PAIR IT?
As wonderful and delicious as the velvet fish soup is, I personally can not enjoy it without a salad. Ideally, since we are going through the heart of winter, I would suggest to accompany it with cauliflower and boiled cabbage. Both vegetables require a little boiling time and a few drops of lemon are enough to bring them to life.
THE PROCEDURE OF THE RECIPE
This particular recipe for velvet fish soup has very simple and common steps for a soup. The only thing we need to take into account is that fish and vegetables do not have the same cooking time. So what I did was I first cooked the vegetables in a big pot, and in another smaller pot I boiled the fish. Then I strained the water in which the fish boiled and added it to the pot with the vegetables.
Velvet fish soup
- 1 kg fish for soup
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, cut into large pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into slices
- 1 medium celery root, cut into large pieces
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- juice of 1 lemon
- 70 ml 70 ml white wine
- 0.25 gr. Kozani saffron
- 750 ml boiling water (combination of boiled water with plain)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and clean the fish and cut it into pieces.
- In a medium saucepan add 1 liter of water, salt and as soon as the water boils add the fish. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove the fish and carefully clean it from the bones. Strain the water and keep it aside.
- In a large saucepan add the olive oil over medium heat and then add the garlic and onion. Saute until soft.
- Then add the potatoes, carrots, celery root and thyme to the pot. Saute until the vegetables get a nice color.
- Add the wine and lemon jucie. Add the Kozani saffron and mix well. Cook until the alcohol evaporates.
- Measure the broth from the fish and if necessary add boiling water to reach 750 ml.
- Add the water and the vegetables to the pot. Boil the vegetables for about 20 minutes, or until soft. With the help of a blender, mash the vegetables.
- Serve with well-cleaned fish, cappuccino leaves, red pepper flakes and extra lemon juice.
So this was the recipe for one of my favorite soups, the velvet fish soup. All you have to do is decide what fish to use, and you will easily and quickly enjoy one of the most delicious soups.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!
Leave a Reply