Lemon and green beans pasta. A simple and quick recipe full of freshness and spring vibes that everyone will love. Ready in 15 minutes and full of vivid colors, aromas and flavors.
Green beans have a special place in my heart. Certainly, this was not always the case. As a kid, I did not enjoy them so much. Growing up, however, I began to reconsider my relationship with several ingredients. One of them was these little guys. An ingredient that is the main ingredient for one of my favorite dishes, Greek green pea stew. You will find a recipe for the braised pea here.
But if you want to try an alternative recipe for peas then you are in the right place. This recipe for lemon and green beans pasta will pleasanlty surprise your palates.
Recipe notes for lemon and green peas pasta
One of the key ingredients of the dish is green peas. Whether you choose fresh or frozen, what you need to pay attention is the cooking process.
After sautéing the onion and garlic we add wine, and then the green peas and some water. We have to add the right quantity of water in order to boil the peas and to keep the heat on medium in order to simmer them.
Have in mind that for a cup of peas we need to add about 1/2 cup of water. This amount will be enough to boil the peas in ten minutes over medium heat.
I would suggest to add boiling water from pasta and not tap water. Boiling water contains starch, starch will thicken the sauce.
Lemon and green beans pasta
- 500 gr pasta
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup green beans
- ⅓ cup white wine
- ⅔ cup boiling water from the pasta
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves finely chopped (or mint)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Then add pasta and cook until al dente. Set aside almost 2/3 cup of the pasta cooking water before you drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold the pasta since you will have to add pasta in the pot with the sauce. Add garlic and onion, sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until turn golden. Add green beans, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir. Once the alcohol has evaporated, add 1/3 cup of pasta boiling water. Simmer for 10 minutes until the peas are soft. If the peas need extra boiling, add a little more water.
- In a bowl, mix the lemon juice, grated parmesan and 2-3 tbsp from the pasta boiling water.
- Add the pasta to the pan and stir. Then add the parmesan mixture, finely chopped basil and butter. Stir well.
- Serve with extra parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
So this was my pasta recipe for this Saturday. The truth is that it is an unusual pasta recipe that will pleasantly surprise you. Ready in 15 minutes, full of vivid colors, aromas and flavors.
If you want to see more pasta recipes like this one you can click here. I ‘ll be happy to hear from you what is your favorite pasta recipe, so please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!