Mini pies with olives, pepper and Mastelo cheese. A dish that can be served as a side dish next to a cold glass of white wine, or even be the ideal snack during a energy consuming day.
A destination that I would love to visit someday soon is Tuscany. Of course now with the lockdown and Covid restrictions this is quite impossible. But for me cooking has been and will always be a great means of travel.
This is exactly the case with this recipe. Although it is quite simple, it managed to take me somewhere in Italy, on a large balcony overlooking vineyards. With dear friends around the table and a cold glass of fine wine.
For me the ideal size of an appetizer is one. The one when you eat only a piece you want more. And when you eat the second one you are almost full. But there is always room for a little more. So, I cut the specific rolls to a size of about 4 cm.
If you want you can cut them a little longer. In this case, however, you will have to adjust the cooking time downwards.
May I change the filling?
If you are not a fan of olives and peppers (I do not negotiate the Mastello cow cheese, it should remain in the filling) then you can add your own favorite ingredients. So you can add whatever each season has to give you. For example, during spring try adding sautéed chopped asparagus along with Mastello cow’s cheese, and some fried bacon. It will be awesome.
Mini pies with olives, pepper and Mastelo cheese
- 1 kourou dough package
- olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 300 gr black olives, finely chopped
- 5 red peppers, roasted and chopped
- 200 gr Mastelo cow cheese
- 1 egg, beaten with milk
- freshly ground pepper
- In a non-stick pan, over medium heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add the chopped olives and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add pepper, stir and leave the mixture to cool.
- Spread over the kourou dough the beaten egg. Then spread 100 gr. grated cow mastelo cheese and the olive mixture along the dough, in a wide strip.
- Fold in half lengthwise, covering the olives, grease the top of the folded dough with egg and wrap tightly in a roll.
- Cut into 3-4 cm thick slices and arrange them in a greased pan.
- Continue with the second kourou dough and the chopped peppers. If there is any olive filling leftover, add it as well.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes.
So this was my recipe for the most delicious, easy and quick mini pies with olives, peppers and Mastelo. Ideal for an evening with friends and wine, but also why not for a delicious snack during the day.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons”and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!