Sweet pumpkin pie with homemade phyllo
Since I was kid, pumpkin used to transform. Then, it was a pumpkin which transformed to a carriage, now the pumpkin transformed to a sweet pumpkin pie with homemade phyllo.
Pumpkin is one of my favorite ingredients. It is great for every situation. Want to eat risotto? You can cook risotto with bacon and pumpkin. Want a cake? You can bake a pumpkin cake with homemade caramel. Do you want a soup? You can cook a velvet soup with bacon (yes, again bacon) and sage. You want a pie? Bake a sweet pumpkin pie with homemade phyllo.
How can you not love her?
In its benefits you can add its resilience to time. Pumpkin can wait for you for weeks in order to cook it.
Sweet pumpkin pie, sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon, can perfectly accompany your hot coffee.
The recipe of the Sweet pumpkin pie is divided into two parts:
- the preparation of the pumpkin cream and
- the preparation of the phyllo.
For making the phyllo pie I followed a recipe for an easy Greek phyllo pie that you can find here, while for the pumpkin cream I followed a very simple process.
The only thing that tired me a little bit was grating the pumpkin, but I have prepared the pumpkin cream one day before making the pie, so fatigue had disappeared. I strongly recommend making the pumpkin cream one day ahead.
Notes for the Sweet Pumpkin pie recipe
- For making the pie I used a 30 cm diameter baking pan.
- In the pie of the photos, the dose for pumpkin cream is doubled from the one noted to the following recipe, that is a kilo of pumpkin. I suggest, however, that the dose should be reduced by half because I did not like the proportion of cream/phyllo. However, if you want, you can double the quantities you will find below.
- During the preparation of the pumpkin cream have in mind to dissolve corn starch in the half of the quantity of the milk. Do not add it directly to the pumpkin cream, it won’t dissolve correctly.
- Remember to check the needed ingredients for the Greek phyllo pie, they are not mentioned in the following recipe. You can find it here.
Sweet pumpkin pie
- 1 dose of greek phyllo pie
- 500 gr pumpkin, grated
- 500 ml milk
- 1/2 cup sugar, you can increase sugar to 1 cup for a sweeter result
- 5 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- powdered sugar
A. Making the phyllo
For making the phyllo I used a recipe that you can find here.
B. For making the pumpkin cream
Cut the pumpkin into pieces and grate them.
In a large saucepan, add the pumpkin and half the amount of milk and bring them to boil. The other half of the milk will be used in order to dissolve corn starch, which will be added at the end to the mixture.
After 15 minutes check if the pumpkin has been softened, and then add the sugar and stir.
Then add the milk in which we have dissolved corn starch.
At the end, add the vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Remove from the fire, cover with a transparent film and allow to cool.
C. Making the pie
Preheat the oven to 200 ° C and put the oven rack grill in the lowest position.
In a 30 cm diameter round pan or in a 35 x 30 cm rectangular pan, spread one of the two phyllos. and spread the pumpkin cream on the surface.
Gently transfer the second phyllo on the top of the filling and fold the flaps or excess from the sides, you can crumble them a little.
Cut the top of the pie with a sharp knife and drizzle with the melted margarine (you can also use olive oil for this step). Gently brush the entire surface with the fat.
Bake at the oven’s lower rack, at 200 ° C (preheated) for 45-60 minutes or until the top is golden-brown.
When ready, remove from oven and place your pita on a cooling rack. This will make your bottom of your pita crispier.
After cooling, sprinkle the pumpkin pie with powdered sugar and plenty of cinnamon.
In the pumpkin cream you can add your own favorite spices. Hmm, now that I think of it, a ginger would give to the pie a very interesting twist. I hope to convinced you to jump to the kitchen and make your own pie.