I think I have much delayed this recipe. They say better now than even, so here it is the recipe for the most crispy oven fried potatoes.
But why you should prefer cooking oven-fried potatoes instead of french fries? I’ll tell you straight away. Here are some reasons why you will love the oven-fried potatoes:
- Oven-fried potatoes are made with less oil, as opposed to the french fries that swim in the oil until they get this amazing gloden brown color. Less oil, less calories.
- By avoiding frying potatoes, we automatically avoid the intense smells that comes with the frying.
- Avoiding frying also keeps away the possibility of frying ourselves. I have no greater fear of hot oil in the kJitchen.
- Frying the potatoes requires a large amount of oil, and therefore costs more. Meanwhile, the baked potatoes needs only 4-5 tablespoons of oil.
Need more reasons? I have one more: these baked potatoes are FANTASTIC.
My tips for crispy potatoes
The number one tip for crispy potatoes is the use of lard. But what is lard? Lard is the pure fat coming from pork that has been cooked for many hours on low temp and transformed into liquid.
You can use lard when making fried potatoes or a veal steak, you will get amazed by the color of your fired potatoes. Add it to the dough of a pie for a flaky pie. You can also use lard for making dumplings, I even used it for making the dough for my bao buns.
But beware, don’t use too much since lard has the aroma of the pork. You can always use it in combination with other types of fat, such as butter or olive oil.
So I did in the oven-fried potatoes. I combined the lard with olive oil, mixed it with salt, pepper and paprika and spread the paste created on the potatoes.
As expected, the lard worked perfectly and made my oven-fried potatoes crunchier than ever.
You can see my recipe for making your own by clicking here.
Another reason that these oven-fried potatoes have stolen my heart is that they are crispy on their outsied and soft inside. This is achieved if you soak the wedges of the potatoes in warm water for 15 minutes before adding them in the oven.
By soaking the potatoes into warm (not hot) water starch is released and thus potatoes absorb excess moisture. So we end up with crispy potatoes on the outside, but soft on the inside.
The most crispy oven fried potatoes
- 4-5 potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lard (or 1 tbsp olive oil)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ freshly ground pepper
- ¾ smoked paprika
- Wash the potatoes, if you want you can peel them, and cut them into size ready for frying.
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, lard and the spices. Mix until making a paste.
- Add a baking sheet on a tray and arrange the potatoes. Spread the paste that we created to the potatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 * C for 25-30 minutes or until golden-brown.
Once again my favorite ingredient, the lard, did not disappoint me. The lard made the oven-fired potatoes super crispy. While, soaking potatoes to the hot water for 15 minutes made them soft in their inside.