If I had to go at the lemon festival (so there is such a festival?), then I would definitely make this cake for this occasion. An upside down lemon cake with honey.
WHY to bake an upside down cake
The technique of baking a cake upside down, is an old technique that began a centuries ago when the cakes were cooked in a cast iron pan. It was easy for the cook to add fruits and sugar to the bottom of the pan and a mixture for cake from above and add it in the oven to be baked.
The upside down cake looks like the French Tarte Tatin tart. And this because in this kind of cake, the cake is baked with fruit at the bottom and the cake mule over. As you turn over the baked cake you see in front of your eyes§ a glittering mattress of caramelized fruit based on a robust and delicious cake.
The ingredients for this wonderful upside down lemon cake with honey are very simple and I think you have everything in your pantry.
- 3 unwaxed lemons
- honey and sugar
- flour, baking powder, soda and salt
- ground cardamom and a vanilla
- olive oil, seed oil
- drained yogurt, full fat
As you see and below in the recipe, the upside down lemon cake is accompanied by a lemon glaze. For this glaze we will need a juice from a lemon (50 ml), honey and butter. If you want you to skip it, you will see that the cake is very pleasant and without it.
Upside down lemon cake with honey
- a 23cm pan with removable bottom
- 3 unwaxed lemons
- 125 gr honey
- 310 gr all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, medium
- 180 ml olive oil
- 60 ml seed oil
- 230 gr plain yogurt, full fat
- 200 gr granulated sugar
For the glaze
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 120 ml honey
- 100 gr butter
- plain yogurt, full fat
- Cut the lemons into thin slices and remove the pits. In a pan, over medium heat, add a little water and then the lemon slices in portions. Steam for 2 minutes on each side. If necessary, add a little extra water.
- Add a greaseproof paper in a round cake pan and then add the honey. Spread it everywhere and add the lemon slices all over the surface.
- In a bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom and vanilla pods. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, on medium speed, beat the eggs with the two types of oil. After 1 minute increase the speed and beat for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the yogurt and sugar. Beat for a minute and then add the flour mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175 ° C for 35-45 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a grill and pour half of the syrup over the hot sponge cake. Set aside for 10 minutes and then turn the cake over on a plate and carefully remove the greaseproof paper.
- Serve hot with the remaining syrup and strained yogurt.
For the glaze
- In a small saucepan add the lemon juice with the honey. Boil over medium heat for 2 minutes and remove from heat. While it is still hot, add the butter and stir to melt.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!
Leave a Reply