Vegetable burger with sourdough buns. Without a doubt, burger is one of the favorite meals of children. While vegetables are usually low, very low in their list. But is it possible to mix things a little bit? This is what I was thinking and this is how my recipe for vegetable burger with sourdough buns was born.
My vegetable burger is super healthy and nutritious. Since it has a lot of vegetables and not only, it also contains another ingredient that children don’t love. This ingredient belongs to the legume family and is none other than black-eyed peas.
WHAT VEGETABLES SHOULD I ADD?
The list of vegetables that can be added to a vegetable burger is endless. To achieve the perfect vegetable burger you need to keep in mind two things, seasonality and the structure of vegetables.
In terms of seasonality, all you have to do is choose the vegetables of the season. This way you will achieve the maximum in the taste and quality of your meal. And of course all this at a better price. Since we are at the end of summer, you may use vegetables such as zucchini, eggplant or pepper. As we move into deep autumn you may choose vegetables such as mushrooms. In fact, mushrooms are considered the perfect substitute for meat. Which makes them an ideal choice for a vegetable burger.
Regarding the the structure of vegetables that you will combine, you should consider two things, the humidity but also the taste. That is, you should not add a lot of zucchini that have a lot of moisture, or only vegetables that do not have at all, such as potatoes. A balance must be kept. Balance should also be kept in terms of the taste of the vegetables. For example, if sweet vegetables such as red pepper and corn are added, then the burger will become quite sweet.
Why sourdough buns?
One would expect a burger to be paired with the classic brios bun. But as this is not a classic burger but a burger with vegetables. Thus, I chose to pair the vegetable burger with a sourdough bun to make it more hearty. I think that vegetables, no matter how nutritious and delicious, do not cover the feeling of satiety for a long time. So their weakness comes to cover by a well-baked sourdough bun.
Do not be frightened when you hear the word sourdough. This sourdough bun is made as easily as you cannot imagine. And this thanks to the Agios Georgios Mills and the magic mixture of Easy Bake for sourdough bread.
I have already talked to you about the mixtures of the Easy Bake series created by the Agios Georgios Mills. And I will do it again in today’s recipe. I always had second thougths when using ready mixtures. But I do not have any second thougths anymore. And this is because the specific mixtures cover my need for quality meals. In addition, the Easy Bake mixtures of this series really stand out for their quality as, among other things, they do not contain palm oil.
Vegetable burger with sourdough buns
For the sourdough buns
- 1 Easy Bake Sourdough Bread mix
- 1 yeast sachet (included in the package of Easy Bake)
- 310 gr water
For the vegetable burger
- 220 gr black-eyed peas
- 1 potatoe, boiled
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek, the white part
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs, medium
- 4-5 tbsp oats
- 100 gr all-purpose flour
- 1-2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- green salad
- gouda cheese
- Greek strained yogurt
For the sourdough buns
- Put the mixture in a large bowl and add water, in which we have first dissolved the yeast.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead again and let it rest for another ten minutes.
- Form 4 round buns, about 220 gr each one of them. Place in a baking tray with baking paper.
- Leave them covered with a clean towel in a warm place for about 50 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven, at 200 ° C for about 35-40 minutes.
For the vegetable burger
- In a pot add cold water, salt and soak the black-eyed peas for at least 12 hours.
- Boil the black-eyed peas for about 30-40 minutes or until soft. At the same time, boil the potato in another pot.
- With the help of a blender, chop the zucchini, eggplant, carrot, leek and onion. Spread them on a baking sheet with baking paper. Add salt and pepper, sprinkle with olive oil and bake at 200 ° C for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly (room temperature).
- Using a blender, mash the black-eyed peas and potatoes. Add a little olive oil or water if needed.
- In a large bowl add all the vegetables, black-eyed peas and potatoes. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Leave the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Shape 4 large burgers and bake at 200°C for about 20 minutes.
- Cut the sourdough buns in half and add vegetables, the burger, a slice of cheese, yogurt and pickles.
So this is the meal that young and old will love this year. Vegetable burger with sourdough buns. A burger that hides in addition to the nutritious vegetables and the benefits of black-eyed peas. While, the sourdough buns perfectly pair with the burger, turning it into a very tasty and filling meal.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!
Leave a Reply