My mom is a person who likes to save time and energy. On the other hand, my dad is a man who likes good food. In general, the combination of these two people gives us the perfect combo and great result. Such a great result is today’s recipe, zucchini with rice and herbs (like yemista).
Zucchini like yemista, as their name suggests, are almost the same as yemista zucchini, but in their easiest version. In fact, their original version was much simpler. My mother didn’t add minced meat, and neither did egg lemon sauce. But the last few days I spent in the village with her and we thought to try adding minced meat and egg lemon sauce.
What personally always bothered me about the yemista zucchini recipe was the emptying of the zucchini. I usually ended up puncturing them, breaking them, or even worse, not emptying them evenly. So this version of my mom was what I was looking for. A recipe that doesn’t stress me out, and at the same time gives me the taste I want. Easy, requires no cutting and sewing skills, quick and very enjoyable.
So if you also want to taste these very easy yemista zucchini, then you only have to buy the following:
- zucchini, lemon, onion and garlic
- dill, parsley and mint
- carolina rice
- ground beef
Whereas, for the egg lemon sauce you will need additional lemons, some corn flour and eggs.
Zucchini like yemista
- 3-4 zucchini
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 150 gr Carolina rice
- 400 gr minced meat
- ⅓ bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- ⅓ bunch of dill, finely chopped
- ⅓ bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 400 gr water
For the egg lemon sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 lemons, their juice
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once heated, add the garlic and onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until browned.4 tbsp olive oil, 1 onion, finely chopped, 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Add the rice and sauté for another 2 minutes, stirring.150 gr Carolina rice
- Then add the minced meat to the rice, and saute for 5-6 minutes.400 gr minced meat
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped herbs, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mix well.⅓ bunch of parsley, finely chopped, ⅓ bunch of dill, finely chopped, ⅓ bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped, lemon juice from 1/2 lemon, freshly ground black pepper, salt
- Cut the zucchini into slices and spread half of them on the bottom of a pot. Add the rice on top and then the rest of the zucchini.3-4 zucchini
- Add the water, a little olive oil to the pot and bring to a boil. After boiling, lower the heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes400 gr water
For the egg lemon sauce
- After the food has boiled, remove some of the stock from the pot and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Give extra attention to the white part of the egg. Slowly pour in the lemon juice in which you have dissolved cornflour and continue whisking.2 eggs, 1-2 lemons, their juice, 2-3 tbsp corn flour
- Slowly drizzling the soup broth and keep whisking the egg-lemon mixture. Then add the mixture to the soup and boil for a few minutes.
- Slowly drizzling the broth and keep whisking the egg-lemon mixture. Then add the mixture to the soup and boil for a few minutes.
So that was my recipe for today. Zucchini like yemista zucchini. All the flavor and deliciousness of our favorite yemista zucchini, but in a simpler and easier version. In fact, if you want, you can simplify it further by ignoring the minced meat, but also the egg lemon.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!
Leave a Reply