The internet is flooded with recipes for fragrant cakes, delicious chocolate chip cookies and all Greek honey cookies (melomakarona). I will suggest you to leave some space for these delicious cocoa butter cookies. If you want, you may also fill them with cream.
I really enjoy a recipe when it gives me room for tasty experiments. Such is the recipe. First let me tell you that its base is the most delicious butter cookies you have ever tasted. If you want a recipe you can find it here. So I first experimented with the amount of cocoa that needed to be added to have the balance I wanted.
So after finding the required amount of cocoa,I started experimenting with their appearance. I wanted something new and special. So the search on Pinterest once again was on. The solution was found by the one and only source of inspiration, Linda Lomelino. Linda used semedakia to give her cookies a wonderful look. I could not not follow her suggestion.
These wonderful cocoa butter cookies are very enjoyable to eat without any filling. I highly recommend it. However, since we are going through a festive period and everything is a little more than I usually thought to fill them. The filling therefore consists of powdered sugar, butter and caster powder.
WHAT IS CASTER POWER?
Caster powder is a powder that is widely used in confectionery. This powder has a white color and texture of flour. It is corn flour with the addition of vanilla aroma, suitable for confectionery.
With or without filling, these cookies should not be missing from any home this Christmas. The process is easy, while the only thing that can be a little bit tricky is to roll out the dough as the dough is quite soft.
Cocoa butter cookies
- 250 gr butter
- 110 gr confectioners’ sugar
- 2 egg yolks, medium
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 360 gr all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
For the filling
- 160 gr confectioners’ sugar
- 70 gr butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp caster powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of the mixer, beat the butter with the icing sugar, until they are homogenous.
- Add the egg yolks and then the vanilla, salt and baking powder. Beat for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the flour together with the cocoa and beat for another 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Place an greaseproof paper on the workbench and sprinkle it with a little flour. Divide the dough in half and place one piece in the greaseproof paper .
- With the help of a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of 0.5 cm. If necessary, sprinkle with a little more flour.
- Shape the biscuits with your favorite shape, either with a sharp knife or with a cookie cutter.
- Carefully transfer the greaseproof paper to a baking tray, and continue with the rest of the dough.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven, at 175°C for 10-15 minutes, fan. Remove from the oven and let them cool well.
For the filling
- With the help of a mixer, beat the butter together with the powdered sugar, the caster powder and the vanilla extract.
- Add 1-1.5 tsp cream on each cookie and cover it with a second biscuit.
So this was the recipe for the most buttery cocoa cookies. The only thing left to decide is whether to give them an alternative design using a semedaki, or whether to make them filled. Everything is in your hand.
BECOME A MEMBER OF TETI’S FLAKES FAMILY
Have you subscribed to Teti’s flakes newsletter? As a subscriber, you will have access to exclusive content such as the series of the ebook “The flavors of the Seasons” and “Food photography – going from Auto to Manual“.
So if you want to become a subscriber, you may sign in here. After signing in you will receive a confirmation email. Attention, the email may end up in the Spam folder. Once you find it, all you have to do is confirm your email and that’s it!