Summer vegetable galette tart. The recipe that you will love and make again and again with all kinds of ingredients. No mixer, no utensils, no special requirements. This is exactly how our kitchen should be in the summer.
Galettes came from beautiful France and they belong to the family of tarts, but they have a rustic character. They are my favorites, in general tarts but especially the galettes. They are so unpretentiously beautiful and if you obey to the seasonality of fruits and vegetables they can be so delicious.
- The butter and the water must be cold. The water can be kept cold by adding some ice cubes. But what about the butter? Simple: Once sliced into small cubes, put it back in the fridge.
- You may add any vegetables you crave. Even potatoes. Just be sure to cut them accordingly. That is, vegetables such as potatoes and carrots should be cut into thinner slices so that they are cooked at the same time as softer vegetables such as e.g. the zucchini.
- If you use zucchini, after cutting it into slices, sprinkle it with some salt and set aside for about 15 minutes. Salt will help the zucchini eliminate excess moisture. Remove excess moisture with a napkin.
- If the tomato sauce has a lot of liquid, then add a little breadcrumbs.
- For a crunchier result, after we compose the tart and before we put it in the oven, it is good to leave it in the fridge for half an hour so that the butter freezes again.
For the dough
- 290 gr all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 150 gr cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 90 ml cold water
- 40 gr strained Greek yogurt
For the tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
For the veggies
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin slices
- 1 eggplant, cut into thin slices
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin slices
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes
- 100 cream cheese
- olive oil
- 10 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
For the veggies
- Cut the vegetables into thin slices and arrange them over on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, chopped fresh basil, salt and freshly ground black pepper and bake for 10-15 minutes in a preheated oven at 200 ° C.
For the tomato sauce
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the tomato sauce and set aside.
For the tart
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and by using your hands gently toss to coat the butter in the flour mixture. Work quickly to ensure the butter stays cold.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cold water and the yogurt.Drizzle over the dough and use by using your hands gently whish until incorporated. Continue working the dough until it comes together and the is no dry flour visible. Be caredul not to overwork the dough. It is ready as soon as you can squish the dough in one hand and stays together.
- Wrap the dough in bee wrap (say no to plastic wrap) and refrigerate for at least one hour or preferably overnight. The dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
- By using a rolling pin roll the dough to a diameter of about 40 cm. If necessary, when rolling out the dough sprinkle some flour. Before adding the vegetables, spread with the tomato sauce.
- Arrange the veggies leaving a 4 cm border. Add the cherry tomatoes and cream cheese.
- Fold the border over the veggies, overlapping as you go.
- Bake at a preheated oven, at 200°C, for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden.
Summer vegetable galette tart. Super easy, super yummy and super healthy. You just have to pay attention in the temperature of the butter and you will enjoy the most crunchy summer veggie tart you have ever eaten.
If you liked the idea of galette in its savory version, then you will love the sweet one. You may find my recipe for an easy galette tart with cherries by clicking here.
I would be thrilled to hear from you. Even more, if you make my recipe and post a photo of it. Just don’t forget to share your photo under the hashtag #tetisflakes. Please do not hesitate to comment below or contact me on Instagram, or Facebook or Twitter!
Leave a Reply